Yesterday, the Office of Inspector General (“OIG”) published “Practical Guidance for Health Care Governing Boards on Compliance Oversight.” The guide is intended as an educational resource for the boards of healthcare entities of all sizes and is the result of a unique collaboration between the OIG and a number of private health care trade organizations. Topics covered by the guide include:
- expectation of the board with respect to compliance functions;
- appropriate relationships between audit, compliance, and legal departments within the organization;
- establishing expectations regarding reporting to the board;
- identifying and auditing potential risk areas; and
- encouraging a culture of compliance.
The guide can be found here.